Pinellas Refugee Education Program (PREP)
The Pinellas Refugee Education Program (PREP) offers FREE training and classes for qualified refugees who meet certain Eligibility Criteria. The goal of the program is to help refugees learn English, get their GED, and obtain career skills and training.
PREP offers ESOL classes at both pTEC campuses (Clearwater and St. Petersburg). For more information on the Clearwater classes, click here.
Resources and Services
PREP offers the following resources and services.
- Career assessment and exploration
- Ongoing case management and follow-up
- Assistance with educational costs
- Transportation and child care assistance
- ESOL, CNA, LPN instruction
- Business Technology instruction
- Child Care instruction in Spanish
- Various pTEC career training options available once English proficiency is achieved
- Referrals for employment
- Translation & interpreter services
Pinellas Refugee Education Program (PREP) offers free classes for adult refugees of all nationalities; Cuban/Haitian entrants, including parolees and asylum applicants; asylees of all nationalities, who have been in the United States fewer than 5 years; Amerasians; Certified Victims of Trafficking; lawful permanent residents who adjusted from prior refugee, entrant or asylee status; and special immigrants of Iraqi or Afghan nationality.
This program is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Refugee Resettlement and administered by the Florida Department of Children & Families.
To learn more, contact us:
pTEC St. Petersburg
901 34th Street South, St. Petersburg FL 33711
Phone: (727) 217-7635
Doug Haskitt, Program Coordinator, ext. 1005